Red Tag Vacations Red Tag Canada Shop. Compare. Pay Less!!
Passport Information for Travellers

Home > Canadian Passport Application Information


Updated January 20, 2010

Do I need a Passport for Mexico?


The Mexican government has announced that effective March 1, 2010 Canadian citizens flying into Mexico will be required to travel with a valid Canadian passport.

New rules for carry-on baggage to the US

Flights to the U.S. - Jan 20, 2010

Effective January 20, 2010, Transport Canada has revised the carry-on limitation for flights from Canada to the United States (including Puerto Rico). Passengers will now be permitted one carry-on bag. Any further info, please refer to Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)

Updated June 2009

Land and water ports of entry ( Effective June 1, 2009)

Canadian citizens are required to present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents when entering the United States by land or water:

  • a passport;
  • a NEXUS card;
  • a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card;
  • an enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented; or
  • a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (when this certificate is available and approved by the United States). In the interim, the current Certificate of Indian Status is an acceptable document to present when entering the United States by land or water.

Note: Canadian citizens entering the United States by land but exiting by air must present a valid passport or a NEXUS card in compliance with U.S. air exit requirements. Refer to the air travel requirements for more information.

Canadian citizens aged 15 years or under are only required to present proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or a photocopy of a birth certificate, or an original citizenship card. Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

The United States has indicated that it will take a common sense approach to implementing the WHTI at its land and water ports of entry, which includes a period of flexibility after June 1, 2009. The Government of Canada cautions travellers that the length and extent of this flexibility is entirely at the discretion of U.S. officials.

Entry requirements to the United States have not changed for non-Canadian citizens, including permanent residents residing in Canada. For more information on U.S. entry requirements, consult the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Web site


Updated June 2009

Document requirements for Canadian children


Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through or from the United States must present one of the following valid documents:

  • a passport; or
  • a NEXUS card when used at a kiosk at designated Canadian airports and at all U.S. airports when returning to Canada.

This requirement applies to all travellers, regardless of age, including children.

Refer to the air travel requirements for more information.


Land and sea travel to the United States |

As of January 31, 2008, Canadians entering the United States by land and marine ports of entry will be required to present:
  • a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's licence AND a birth certificate or a citizenship card; OR
  • for youth under 18, a birth certificate; OR
  • a valid passport.



Passports Required for Air Travel to United States as of January 23, 2007

All Travellers entering the United States MUST present a valid Passport when arriving by air as of January 2007. This includes all children regardless of age will require passports to enter the United States of America.

Where do I get a Canadian passport?

Canadian Passport applications can be obtained at your local

post office or Passport Office, you can find a list of service locations for your Canadian Passport.

How Can I Apply Online for a Canadian Passport?

You can also obtain a Canadian Passport Application Online, this is available to Canadians 16 years of age and older only.
You will need to print your application form, sign it and have your guarantor sign your completed application form and one of your photos. You will have to either present your application with supporting documents to one of our service locations or mail it in with the supporting documents. more info here

Printable Canadian Passport Forms

Canadians living in Canada or in the United States
Simplified Renewal Form
(adults in Canada only)
PPTC 054
(PDF, 161 KB)
(16 years of age or over)
PPTC 153
(PDF, 205 KB)
(under 16 years of age)
PPTC 155
(PDF, 184 KB)
Canadians living in the United States or Bermuda who wish to download the old form, the previous guarantor policy applies.
  • Adults (16 years of age or over): PPTC 140
  • Children (under 16 years of age): PPTC 142
Passport On-line
(16 years of age or over)
Start >>

Canadians living abroad
(16 years of age or over)
PPTC 040
(PDF, 255 KB)
(under 16 years of age)
PPTC 042
(PDF, 247 KB)

Non-Canadians living in Canada
(16 years of age or over)
PPTC 190
(PDF, 177 KB)
(under 16 years of age)
PPTC 192
(PDF, 185 KB)

Other forms
Proof of Canadian Citizenship
Additional Information
PPTC 001
Statutory Declaration
concerning a lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible Canadian passport or travel document
PPTC 203

Printing Requirements

  • Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® version 5.0 or later.
  • Form is to be printed on white, 8 ½ x 11 inches (216 x 279 mm), bond quality, non-glossy paper.
  • Set the PAGE SCALING at NONE and select the AUTO-ROTATE AND CENTER option,
    both found under PAGE HANDLING when the Print dialogue appears.

Need More Information on Canadian Passports Applications

Canadian Passport Information English click here
Canadian Passport Information French  click here

Call 1-866-573-3824 or Book Online